2010-Oct Sumatra Earthquake
|Affected State/States||West Sumatra, Bengkulu, Mentawai Islands|
|Type||Earthquake, Flooding and tsunami, Transportation emergency|
- GLIDE No. EQ-2010-000213-IDN
- Update 30-Oct-2010
- Source: ReliefWeb/Jakarta Post
- Indonesia: Mentawai tsunami death toll reaches 413 - The death toll in last Monday`s tsunami that devastated the Mentawai Islands, West Sumatra, rose to 413 on Friday evening, while 298 others were still missing. Data from the Mentawai earthquake and tsunami information services at the Sikakap Selatan district administration in the Mentawai Islands shows 207 people were injured seriously and 142 others lightly. The injured are being treated at emergency clinics at the public health service posts and church in the district, Antara reported from Padang, West Sumatra. A total of 517 houses were destroyed and swept away by the tsunami, while 204 others had minor damages, according to the data.
- Update 29-Oct-2010
- Source: Wikipedia
- The October 2010 Sumatra earthquake was a magnitude 7.7 Mw earthquake, which occurred on 25 October 2010 off the western coast of Sumatra, Indonesia at 21:42 local time (14:42 UTC). The earthquake occurred on the same fault that produced the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake. It was widely felt across the provinces of Bengkulu and West Sumatra and resulted in a substantial localized tsunami that struck the Mentawai Islands.
- Many villages on the islands were affected by the tsunami, which reached a height of 3m (9 ft) and swept as far as 600m (1800 ft) inland. The tsunami caused widespread destruction that displaced more than 20,000 people and affected about 4,000 households. Around 393 people were reported to have been killed, with hundreds more still missing. The subsequent relief effort was hampered by bad weather and the remoteness of the islands, which led to delays in the reporting of casualties.
Facts about "2010-Oct Sumatra Earthquake"
|Area affected||West Sumatra +, Bengkulu +, Mentawai Islands + and Indonesia +|
|Emergency type||Earthquake +, Flooding and tsunami + and Transportation emergency +|
|Start date||25 October 2010 +|
|StateProvince||West Sumatra +, Bengkulu + and Mentawai Islands +|